Naim NAP 500 Power Amplifier
As the debut product in Naim’s reference 500 Series range, the NAP 500 is a monumental expression of Naim amplifier technology. Its design was honed over six years of collaborative work with suppliers of specialist parts and each product takes days of dedicated assembly by Naim’s most skilled technicians in Salisbury. It’s this eye for detail, alongside its remarkable power, that allows the NAP 500 to bring your music into breath-taking focus.
Technology & Craft
The NAP 500 delivers 140W per channel into 8 ohms and is capable of prolonged output into 2 ohms with no discernible impact to performance. Its two box configuration is classic Naim, with the power supply completely removed to the separate 500 PS power supply for ultimate performance. Each channel of the NAP 500 includes ten stages of local regulation. To reduce interference from the mains supply further, the transformer and first stages of the power supply are in a separate enclosure, the 500 PS, which provides twelve raw D.C. supplies for the power amplifier.
A bridged configuration allow for maximised open and closed loop speed, less intrusive protection circuitry and reduced interaction between input and output signals as the very high drive currents to the loudspeaker do not flow through the system earth. The NAP 500 also features an advanced output transistor, the 007, specifically designed for the purpose through months of collaborative work with a specialist supplier. The circuit topology has been developed to maximise bandwidth and reduce distortion and power supply dependency. Also, special attention has been paid to reducing thermally-induced noise, an especially important consideration in power amplifiers.
Technical Features | Naim NAP 500 power amplifier
- 140W per channel output into 8 ohms; capable of prolonged output into 2 ohms with no discernible impact on performance
- Bridged power amplifier configuration for maximised open and closed-loop speed, with ten stages of local regulation per channel
- Two-box configuration with 500 PS power supply for optimum rejection of electromagnetic interference
- 1,100VA toroidal transformer provides 12 raw DC supplies for the power amplifier
- 25kg brushed, black-anodised chassis with distinctive heatsink plus variable speed intelligent fan system for discreet extra cooling if required
learn more about the Naim NAP 500 power amplifier